We’re Becoming Rakuten: Everything You Need to Know
We’re in the process of changing our name from Ebates to Rakuten. Aside from the new name and logo, our member experience will be virtually unchanged. Here are some common questions and answers related to this upcoming change.
What can I expect?
Much of the same, except that in places you’re using to seeing the name Ebates, you’ll start seeing Rakuten instead.
- The icons and logos will be updated on our website, app and browser extension.
- Our URL will change. If you navigate to ebates.com, you’ll be redirected to the new version of our site at rakuten.com.
- Your emails will start coming from Rakuten and Rakuten Member Services.
- If you receive your payments via Big Fat Check, it will have a new look with the Rakuten logo.
- If you receive your payments via PayPal, it will come from Rakuten.
How does this affect me as a member?
The name change should have no effect on how you use our service. Everything else, including Cash Back, will remain the same.
Why did the name change?
We discuss the thinking behind our name change and how it affects members on our New Brand Announcement page. View the Announcement.
What does the name “Rakuten” mean?
Rakuten is Japanese for “optimism.”
Are you a Japanese company now?
Rakuten is a multinational corporation with businesses all over the world. Our Americas Regional Headquarters is located in San Mateo, California, and we employ 2,500 people across the U.S. For more information, please visit our global corporate site.
When will the name change?
We’re moving Ebates members to the new Rakuten site one group at a time, so that the name change can occur in an orderly fashion. This means some members will still experience the Ebates version of our site while the transition is underway. When the transition is complete, all members will be upgraded to the new Rakuten site.
Do I have to do anything?
No. We’ll let you know exactly what’s happening when your account is moved to the new Rakuten site.
I’ve referred people to Ebates. Will I still get paid?
Yes! You’re eligible to earn referral bonuses whether the members you refer purchase through the Ebates or Rakuten service.